Saturday 10 November 2012

Billingsgate fish market

I couln't help but notice a scarcity of fish shops in the area that I live in. I mentioned it to a friend who suggested that I could go to a fish market near Canary Wharf. At first, I dismissed the idea as completely insane - why should I travel across London just to buy fish? But then my curiosity won with me.

Billingsgate fish market is the largest fish market in the UK. It dates back to 16th century. By19th century it was the biggest fish market in the world. Originally located on Billingsgate Wharf, it has been moved to the Isle of Dogs in 1982. Traditionally, only licenced fish porters were allowed to move fish around the market. However, a 'bitter battle' was fought against the rule stemming from the times of Henry VIII and it was finally abandoned this year (2012).

I have resolved to visit Billinsgate only to realise that the market is open from 4am to 9.30am (Mon-Sat). Can you feel my pain of waking up so early on a Saturday morning? I thought just as much.

Anyhow, there I was walking in the rain (of course it had to rain) making my way across still empty Canary Wharf to buy some fish. As I was approaching my destination, I could hear the seagulls, everything as it should be.

I was cold, I was wet, and ended up smelling of fish, but it was SO worth it!! I've never seen so much and so many different fish in one place!








You can find there anything from plaice almost the size of my umbrella to Jamaican skipper.

A few words of advice if you ever decide to go:
1. Wear old shoes, seriously.
2. Don't be surprised that if you simply say "2", you'll be given two boxes of fish.

PS. Can you recognise these beauties?



No comments:

Post a Comment