Friday 16 November 2012

Fishy classic

Whenever, one thinks of fish in the UK, the first thing that comes to mind is the famous fish and chips. Breaded cod is an ultimate classic here. This time however, I prepared what could have been seen as a classic fish dish in Poland some twenty years ago: fried herring with onions.

To my mind, fresh herring is a largely underestimated fish. Herring features in all sorts of marinaded forms, but as a fresh fish it is overlooked, seen largely as a fish of the poor (as a kid I had to steal from my dog to eat it). Yet, it is has very fine delicate meat and has not that many fish bones.


Herring is one of those fish that simply has to be served simple, any spices might only destroy its taste.

So, I only coated my herring with flour and fried it, just like that. I also fried some onion to go with it. I served it all with potatoes similar to those I previously, served with turkey (T is for turkey), but this time I added chili instead of rosemary, et voila!

Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment