I recently received a wonderful gift of a huge block of cheddar cheese from a dear friend of mine, so I've been experimenting with recipes involving this delicacy. One of the things I came up with is a chicken, chesnut mushrooms and celery casserole with cheesy sauce, a recipe for which you can find below.
one chicken breast
salt & pepper
2-3 spoons of flour
200ml of milk
50g of butter
100g of mature cheddar
chili powder or pepper cayenne
pasta brisée or puff pastry
oil for frying
1. Wash the celery and slice it. Fry on a hot pan. Transfer to a casserole dish.
2. Clean your mushrooms and cut into quarters. Fry on the same pan as the celery, ading some pepper for taste.Transfer to the casserole dish.
3. Cut the chicken into small pieces and fry with thyme and salt & pepper. again transfer to the casserole dish once ready.
4. On a separate pan prepare the cheesy sauce. Melt the butter, add flower and allow it to fry for a few seconds before adding milk. It is just like making a beshamel sauce, except for it needs to be a bit more runny than beshamel. Add the cheddar and stir the sauce on medium heat until the cheese melts. Add some chili powder to spice it up.
5. Transfer the sauce into the casserole and cover it with pastry.
6. Put in the oven preheated to around 175 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until the pastry is ready, et voila!