Sunday 16 March 2014

Cravings are a dangerous thing

I'm a creature of cravings, everyone who knows me will confirm. As a result, my eating habits are incomprehensible to normal human beings. For example, I have recently eaten chocolate, brie and tripe soup all within 10 minutes, and (surprisingly) didn't feel sick afterwards. I have learnt long time ago that there is no point in ignoring my cravings. This will only prolong the suffering. Even if I decide to eat sth else I will still feel hungry. So today, despite the fact that I had completely different (and more sophisticated) dinner plans, I had no choice, but to succumb to a completely new craving for....mashed potatoes.

This in itelf doesn't sound very unusual, but the thing is that I'm not really a fan of potatoes (again most of the people who know me will confirm). I'm guessing that my general dislike of potatoes stems from the fact that they are taken for granted too easily, at least where I come from. They are usually treated as a necessary addition to nearly every dish in Poland. This obviously means that they are not getting the attention they need. Good mashed potatoes require care - and this is not limited to the issue of overcooking the potatoes.

Personally, I don't believe in potato purées based on milk. If you're obsessively counting your calories, don't  think about mashed potatoes in the first place!! At this point I must say that Julia Child was right: there can never be too much butter. On the other hand, I believe it that it is actually possible to overmash the potatoes, in the same way as it is possible to undermash them. There can be nothing worse than a potato purée with potato bits disrupting the smoothness of the experience.

Of course, mashed potatoes are not exactly a dinner course in themselves. Today I served mine with chicken drumsticks in reggae reggae sauce. Call me lazy, but sometimes it is actually possible to create very decent dishes out of half products. I recommend this recipe to anyone short of time for cooking. 

You'll need:
4 drumsticks
1/2 jar of reggae reggae sauce (available in nearly every store throughout hte UK)
3 tablespoons of oil
1/2 a glass of water
1/2 bouillon cube

Mix it all in the heatproof container, simply leave it in the oven set for around 200 degrees for more or less 40 minutes, et voilà

 Bon appétit!


No comments:

Post a Comment