...or simply split red lentils. Digging deep into my archives for this Indian side dish recipe.
250g split red lentils
1 medium onion
1 long green chili
2 garlic cloves
4cm of ginger
1 litre water
1. Rinse the lentils in a sieve and then transfer into a pot. Add garam masala, turmeric and water and bring to the boil. Then turn the heat down and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove any foam that accumulates on the surface in the process.
2. In the meantime, chop and fry the onion until it softens and starts turning golden brown. At this point add previously chopped garlic and ginger and fry for another 30 seconds or so, taking care not to burn anything.
3. Cut the chili longways and add to the frying pan with onions together with chopped tomatoes.
4. Once the lentils cooked for 20 miunutes, transfer the contents of the frying pan to the pot and simmer for another 20 minutes or until the lentils are completely soft. Add some water if necessary and stir regularly.
5. Season with salt&pepper if necessary.